Thursday, 1 December 2016

Hiking, Zipping and Wheeling in Snowdonia

SNOWDON
Rodney and Jenn visit!
Rod and Jenn came for a 2 week visit and we had an absolute blast with them. Jenn is a mover and shaker and they saw three countries (England, Wales and France) in 12 days! We LOVED having them and the time went by too quickly, as always with family. But one of the biggest adventures was hiking Snowdon. It is the tallest peak in Wales and it was a legit hike! We may have never made it over there if it weren't for Rodney's excitement to hike. I am so glad we did as it was a fabulous experience and really spectacular. 
It started out easy and then when straight up through the shale rocks. 
It was 11 miles and took us just over 5 hours.
But the scenery was absolutely breathtaking as seen in the pictures below. 


The kids were so great and did such an awesome job. But I must admit, it would not have been nearly as fun without Uncle Rodney and Auntie Jenn. Having them there made the journey a blast. Rod had all sorts of crazy stories the kids loved hearing and kept asking for more :) Josh held his hand almost the whole way and just hiked and skipped along. 










October 2016




The trail became very steep and rocky and on our way up and I saw a young boy who was laying on the ground moaning and tears streaming down his face. His dad was very cross with him, saying all sorts of unkind things. I of course stepped in and said, "I think his ankle might be broken or very badly sprained." He just swore at him. Just then, Rod came up behind me and I told him quietly what had happened. I asked if I carried his pack, would he help this young boy? He said, "Of course!" Well this boy was quite hefty and not mobile at this point. Rodney was so funny though; he said, "Hey! What's your name?" He said, "Tom." Rod replied, "Well Tom, my name is Rod and I'm a Canadian. Can I help you? Have you ever ridden a Canadian before?" Well, people were gathering at this point and started chuckling. Tom said, "no." "Well, today's your day! This is my brother Spence and we are going to help get you to the top of this mountain!" With a lot of help, he got up and Rod and Spence took turns carrying him on their backs. (They both laughed later that their legs just BURNED!) Well, they finally made it up the mountain and as they reached the "saddle" people were standing there cheering. It was so great. I was so grateful for their ability to help. There was a train that came up the mountain for people who didn't want to hike, so he was able to go down on it. 

The "Finger Stone" in the saddle.
We did it! 





The view from the top! Wowza! 

Mud-dogs!
 We went 4-wheeling and it was really fun because of all the rain and mud! We were COVERED! 


Zip-World!
 We went to Zip-World and zipped the longest zip line in Europe. It was called the Titian and it consisted of three consecutive runs...The Alph, Bravo, Charlie
Honestly, I was a bit nervous at first, but it was so fun and not scary at all. SO exciting though!


The kids were all really fun about the adventure and seemed to enjoy it immensely. 



 That evening on the beach, by our B&B in Porthmadog
What a crew xx

1 comment:

  1. That was an amazing weekend in Wales! Of all our adventures in the UK and Paris... Wales was my favorite. Thank you Spencer and Brit for helping us cross so many items off "Bucket List". I hope we meet up with Tom and his Dad again one day... Spencer and I should have "adjusted" his Dad's attitude that day :)

    ReplyDelete