Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Singapore - An Architectural Phenomenon

Singapore Sling!
I don't know how I lucked out on this one, but I did :) Spencer had a work meeting planned in Singapore this week and because Gram-Gram and Grandpa were in town and offered to watch the kids, I got to jump on a flight and go visit him in this most remarkable city. I came the day his meetings ended, so we had three days together.  Singapore is simply amazing and HOT with breathtaking views of the city's skyline. The numerous building designs were ingenious, creative and remarkable. This city is extremely forward thinking. Change is literally part of their culture. The diversity of the people is absolutely beautiful and inspiring. There is a genuine kindness among the people and we felt it a privilege to have experienced it. 

I arrived into Singapore after a 13 hour flight from London. Spence was finishing up a work meeting until about 8:30pm. When he got back to to the hotel, we went out with his co-worker and good friend, Max. We went to the top of one of the most amazing hotel's I've ever seen. It looks like a ship docked on three towers. It's called The Marina Bay Sands Hotel. We went up to the top, 55 stories high, and had a "Singapore Sling"! So this is their famous drink. *The story*...Max tells us about this drink and said we should try it. He said, but I'll just order it virgin style for you guys. We said okay. When he ordered it, the waitress said, "Oh! I'll just take out the gin then!" Max said, "Isn't there another alcohol mix in there?" She said, "Oh ya, I'll take out the brandy too." To which Max said, "Isn't there a third alcohol component in there as well?" The waitress looked totally baffled and said, "Yes sir, we will take out the Benedictine." HAHA! So we had a virgin, virgin, virgin Singapore Sling! Thank goodness Max was there to help us out! The best part...The guy who runs the bar came out to meet "the people" who ordered this drink! He couldn't believe we ordered it that way! 
 Marina Bay Sands
 City skyline
 On top of the hotel with Spencer's college, Max


view from our hotel pool (it's a bit more impressive when you're there
 because the pool is on top of the hotel and it overlooks the cityscape)
view of the Marina Sands walking up to it
The next morning we got up and started walking through the city. We came to the Fountain of Wealth. 
We walked around it with everyone else and took a couple of picture. 

We walked over to the156 year old Singapore Botanical Gardens.
It was such a beautiful garden with the rare title of UNESCO World Heritage Site. 







 This turtle was balancing with one leg in the air!





 garden amphitheater 
 It has the most beautiful orchid garden. 





Sundial 



Chinatown
We figured out the metro system and made our way to Chinatown. It was so much fun. We started our tour there by visiting the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. We didn't realize we weren't supposed to take pictures till half way through our visit. Whoops...but it was very VERY ornate and golden everywhere you looked. It was quite an impressive temple.







We were able to walk to the oldest Hindu Temple in Singapore. This was the one in Chinatown.


This is the one we saw in Little India.

We really enjoyed all the shopping and yummy food here and it was SO clean. 


That night, we went over to Gardens By The Bay and saw the Supertree Grove! WOW! I felt like all we needed were blue tails and we'd be Avatars! Incredible! Incredible! 
 You can see the Marina Sands Hotel through the Super Tree Grove

 garden clock
 fantastic designed seating
 check out the ants on the tree and the crocodile bench


 a swan among the lily pond
 The views walking back to our hotel
The next day we jumped up early, around 6:45, and went on a bike tour for four hours around Singapore. No one else signed up for the tour with Alfie, so it was just the three of us. Again, even the gutters, the back alleys, around the rubbish bins were all clean! So impressive. 

A beautiful housing complex by speakers corner. 

The laws in Singapore are very strict in comparison to many other countries. If someone wants to have a demonstration, they must get a permit and only hold it at speakers corner. But it is totally legal to speak out.  If you do not, you will be fined and put in jail for a time. You cannot litter, spit, or throw out your gum. You will be heavily fined. Also, if you steal, damage property or even have a concealed weapon, you will be put in jail and caned. In fact, someone shot an officer in the foot and was hanged. All that being said, because of these laws, there is a very low crime rate in Singapore and it is considered one of the safest cities to live in and visit. 
I laughed at how Spencer described it, "If you don't behave yourself, you'll be spanked and put in jail!" 

Alkaff Bridge across Robertson Quay (pronounced 'key')

Clark Quay

Boat Quay

Raffles Hotel 
Stamford Raffles was the visionary man (British) who in the early 1800's, founded and help design Singapore and bring it literally out of obscurity.
He was paramount in the building of Singapore into what it is today. 



 Arab street and Mosque
 Singapore cityscape

 Merlion

 Their soccer stadium built out on the water!
 It was SO crazy, but towards the end of our tour, we ran into Spencer's boss and co-worker!
 After the tour, we went back over to Gardens by the Bay and visited the Flower Dome and Cloud Forest


WOWZA! The flower dome was really pretty, but the Cloud Forest blew our minds! Incredible (Have I said that word enough?!)



















This is what the inside of their malls look like!
That night we went back to the Super Tree Grove and watched their musical light show. 



Then we walked over to the peer and watched one there. It was so fantastic to just walk and find these amazing productions!






We ran out of time to do the river cruise, but I hear it is awesome! If you have an extra day, I think you should consider it! 









1 comment:

  1. Unbelievable pictures Britt!!! What an amazing trip and I'm so glad you were able to go! I can't wait to go there too!! Some day!! I never ceases to amaze me how truly photogenic and beautiful you are. What a gorgeous couple you and Spencer are!!!

    ReplyDelete