Monday, 30 May 2016

Tip Toe Through the Tulips!


Rotterdam
Kinderdijk
Keukenhof
Ghent
(Picture taken at the Keukenhof Festival)
Spencer and I flew back from Singapore and five hours later we were in a van driving to the 
Netherlands and Belgium to see the windmills, canals and tulips. I am so in love with
 these two countries and absolutely love visiting their beautiful cities.
Grandpa and Gram-Gram are so much fun to travel with and always up for the next adventure. 
We are SO blessed to have them to be able to come with us. 
We didn't make it three hours down the road when a warning light came on in our vehicle. We pulled over to a petrol station to check it out.
 I was immediately worried and Spencer and Wayne weren't quite sure what to do. We were in Belgium, couldn't speak the language and we weren't getting any help from the lady inside. I looked over and saw this man sort of glancing over at us. I used my best Idaho-girl smile and said hello and asked him if he spoke English. He nodded and then I explained our dilemma. He seemed a bit hesitant, then I asked him what kind of work he did. He said he was a soldier. I've met many soldiers over the past two year and I graciously shook his hand and thanked him for the kind of work he did to protect others. I was surprised as I realized that's all it took for him to give us a helping hand! He jumped to action, went inside, bought what we needed and came out and helped us put the right coolant in our van and the light went off. I gave him a handful of homemade cookies Barb had made, we took a picture with him and we were off again. 
THANK HEAVENS for good people and especially good soldiers around the world! 

Rotterdam
We were able to stay on a canal boat! The kids were so excited and it was definitely an 
experience. I've wondered what it would be like to stay on one, and now we had our chance! 
The kids had a blast playing "captain and sailors" and we got some great laughs at how 
much they enjoyed just exploring the boat's many hidden treasures. 

The inside of one of the two almost identical cabins. 
I am pleased to report that we stayed very warm and there was plenty of hot water! 
The steep stairwell to get into the boat. 
The loo
"Aye-Aye Capitan!" 
Leaving our canalboat to walk around Rotterdam




The crew hard at work
Ike and Anne decided to tandem bike through Kinderdijk to see the windmills.
They did so well!
Josh muscled it out himself.


Ty and Spencer decided to give it a go too! 
Ty loved riding with his dad (I even saw him holding his legs out to the side when 
they were biking, letting Spencer do all the work! haha!)

We could not pass up a picture in a wooden Dutch shoe :)

How cute are they?!
Kiderdijk
(pronounced kinder-dike)
Approaching the largest collection of windmills in the world. 
19 operating windmills



We were able to go up inside the mills and see where the families would sleep and live. 
Tiny rooms with plenty of stairwells (sort of like our home in England!)







We learned that the windmills were built to manage the water levels of the area.

When we came back into Rotterdam, we saw a "bike-park" There are literally hundreds of bikes parked here ready for their owner to use them. Biking is truly part of their culture and the most likely mode of transport. 





We decided to walk along the canal and look at all the architecture  Ty REALLY wanted to use my camera to take pictures. As he removed the cap, it slipped from his hands and plopped into the water. Naturally, we all thought, "Oh no!" but Anne watched it as is popped to the surface and started moving to the edge. Luckily there was a ladder there and Spencer went down and picked it up! We all cheered.
A very grateful son hugging his superhero dad.
Again, seriously!? Look at how remarkable this city is. It's SOOOO different than anything I grew up around. 
Street art

I just loved this picture! I feel like it typified everything we were seeing. 


Keukenhof
Happy daffodils 
Well, my little dream came true and I was able to bring my children to the Keukenhof festival! 
It's SO beautiful here! 






I can't imaging the Garden of Eden looking any more beautiful. 
















A new orchid display! Wow!!!

I've never seen a blue orchid before and was blown away by it's color and beauty. 








We had the COOLEST surprise! 
As we were walking around, we hear someone say, "Spencer? Is that you?" 
We turned around and saw Spencer's cousin, Aaron and Kari Christensen and their 5 children! 
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES?! It was so much fun. We got to totally catch up and spend the rest of our afternoon with them. They live in Washington, but have decided to literally travel the world this year as a family. And we just happened to all be in the Netherlands, on the same day, in the same park and at the same location of the absolutely massive festival. What a treat! 
Their children Maggie, Eli, Tessa, Max and Jonah





We got such a kick out of watching the kids become friends with their cousins. 
It was so easy and very special. 

As per usual, I got carried away taking pictures of flowers. 



Ghent
We decided to stop in a little Belgium village called Ghent on our way back to England. 
It's actually very close to the other village we love, Brugge. 
The Royal Dutch Theatre
St. Nicholas' Church
Ghent's city centre



Gravensteen or Counts Castle from the Middle Ages 1200's


Everyone wanted to take cruise ride down the canals. 
It is so fun to see a city this way. 


St. Michael's Bridge






It started to rain on the tour
The street of Graslei was/is considered one of the most beautiful in Europe.


The river view of Counts Castle

I thought this view was so quaint and beautiful.
Another view of Gravensteen Castle





The Rabot with it's two round towers





I admit, this experience of living overseas is beyond amazing.
We are so blessed to see parts of this incredible world with our children and family.
There are so many hidden treasures and historical sites that have absolutely enriched our lives.
**One of these treasures is a proper Belgian waffle with Nutella, strawberries and bananas.
It's something one dreams about for weeks after.....
Thank you Grandpa and Gram-Gram for indulging us. xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great trip and beautiful pictures!!! How crazy that you saw family!!! Love you guys xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the most beautiful flower pictures I have ever ever seen!!!! I adore ALL of these pictures!!! It makes me miss you all so much! I can't believe how long and thick Anne's hair is and you are all serious super models!! Wow!! More cities I can't wait to go to some day!!!❤️❤️ Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete