Team Wes
My family received some pretty crappy news just after school started. My dad has been dealing with some really painful stomach issues after their summer trip to Mexico. He thought he may have picked up a 'bug', possibly in the food and finally decided to see the doctor. The GI doctors weren't able to relieve his pain, so my Uncle (Dr.) Roger ordered more tests and that's when they found cancer. It's bad and it's aggressive.
Cancer sucks.
Seriously.
It affects too many people and I wish we could find a cure to this terrible disease.
The doctor said my dad's prognosis looked poor and I felt like I needed to fly home. I was able to jump on a plane and fly into SLC and drive up to Idaho for a week. Spencer and the kids were SO supportive and never complained one minute. I LOVE MY FAMILY! I was able to help mom and dad get all sorts of paper work/insurance/just stuff together over the few days I was there. It was such an honor to be able to help when normally, my amazing siblings and their spouses, are there working things out because I am too far away to be of any use... (They had all just finished running the Bread Barn for the past 8 days, which is my parents/family booth at the State Fair for the past 35+years...TONS of work!)
But Sunday, was especially special... I'll start with the pictures shown above. We were eating together and Chase was determined that we pick a "family" NFL team that we can ALL agree on. We bantered back and forth discussing team players, locations of where their games are played, colors of uniforms (you know, the important stuff..) It was a good time and lots of laughing. As we were finishing up, Natalie asked us all (except my parents) to come into the other room. She had designed and made team shirts for my dad. The ironic thing was that we had just been trying to "choose" a family team. When we all came out from the other room with our T-shirts on, Natalie said, (and may I add we all had tears streaming down our faces) "Dad, we can't seem to come up with a team that we can all agree on, so we are choosing you...Team Wes. We are your biggest fans and are supporting you through this fight. Whatever the outcome, we will be cheering you on."
Needless to say, I have one heck of a family.
Jeffrey
Natalie
Jennifer
Misti
Little Miss Bentley-Boo - how adorable is she??!!
Visiting Grandma Leola DaBell - age 93
Uncle Layne was able to help us with a direction on what to do first to get all the paper work in order.
Thank you so much Uncle Layne!
Layne and Karen VanOrden
Thank you so much Uncle Layne!
Layne and Karen VanOrden
Aunt Marlene (Dad's sister) and Uncle Bob Rhead and part of her family..Beth and Daryl Rhead,
Christine Hatch, and Malory with her good friend.
It was my cousin's Rick and Sami-Lue Rice's (below) son's wedding that weekend,
so lots of family were in town. It was SO nice to see more of my family.
Natalie, Sami-Lue, me, Cole, McKenzie, Jackie and Rich Leonardson
Bobette, Mom and Sami-Lue
Aunt Marlene, Aunt Vonnie Lue and Grandma DaBell
Handsome Will and Reggie
A sunset picture in Lewisville on 500 North. My home...
So this picture represents a very special experience for our family.
Sunday morning, dad's Stake President, President Kidd, called and asked if he and a visiting general authority could come and visit him in the afternoon. I was able to sit in on one of the sweetest experiences of my life. Elder and Sister Dale Renlund (a member of the 1st Quorum of the 70) came over for a visit. He and his beautiful wife talked with dad, listened and told him some very touching stories from their own life. He also said he usually gets two weekends off a YEAR for themselves and this was one of them. Yet he woke up Thursday or Friday and felt very prompted to drive from SLC up to Idaho that weekend. That is when he learned about my dad and asked to go see him. He asked my dad if there was anything he could do..my dad said, "Would you be able to give me a blessing?" Elder Renlund said, "Of course. But have you received one?" To which my dad said, "Yes, by my son." Elder Renlund paused and said, "Then I won't re-annoint you, you've had that done; I will give you a blessing and just add to the one you have already received." The words he said touched our hearts and gave a sense of peace I cannot quite describe. Needless to say, our hearts were over-brimming with love. Then on the following Sunday, when I heard Elder Renlund's name called as the newest member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, my gratitude for loving priesthood holders who listen to the promptings of the Spirit literally filled within me. Heavenly Father knows EACH of us and loves us all. We are His children.
I took a couple of hours and went on a date with Bentley and her favorite stuffed-animals!
We went for a milkshake and then visited the park. Mimi stopped by too, we had a fun time together.
Literally squeezing EVERY second with special moments,
my darling cousin Abby and Mindy came over near the park and we had lunch together in Rigby.
Me, Jenn, Misti, Mindy Larsen, Abby Lamb and her little girls Nona and Naomi.
I flew home the next day.
ONE WEEK LATER, I returned.
The prognosis was worse an dad was admitted into the hospital.
Mom and dad's hands...
Bentley set up in the hallway of the hospital...haha
Uncle Steve and Aunt Marilyn Archibald
Will and Jason
I love this picture of Grandma! She is SO cute!!
Aunt VL is the best sister EVER to dad. She has been by his side non-stop!
We love you so much Aunt Bobba-Lue
Grandma, Karen and Vonnie-Lue
Kerri was able to bring Nanny up to see dad.
Uncle Dick with Aunt VL. They brought dinner and lunches EVERY night I was there. It is impossible to even start to feel hungry with these two on your side! They are the most generous people I know. Thank you..
Handsome Wesley
Cyri Oswald and Camille Ricks (my cousins)
The grandkids brought posters and hearts to decorate Papa's room.
Will, Kash, Kaden and Brooklyn (Robby- below)
Dad's brother Bruce Draper
We had a scare one night...It was after dad's first chemo treatment and we got a call that Nanny was in the emergency room. She had an acute attack of diverticulitis. They put her in the room across the hall from dad. Natalie, Jenn and I had many laughs of exhaustion as we ran from room to room all night long helping Dad and Nanny. Thank heavens for amazing sisters..
yep! Nat made more shirts! They say, "Some people don't believe in heroes,
but they've never met my dad."
I have to laugh at this picture..we have very tired eyes!
Getting dad up for a walk
Lunch with the Broulims! Cyri, Jason and Misti were up at this time. Dad has non-stop visitors. Loves...
Ascot United Football Team Under 8's
Josh just loves soccer and is quite good. He hustles and loves to score goals.
Daddy/Daughter Date
I had originally planned a date with Anne into London to see the ballet at the Royal Opera House. Because I had been traveling to Idaho to see my dad, I wasn't able to go. Spencer took the tickets and Anne and went on a date with her. They had a great time. AND Spencer went to the ballet! What a cool dad and incredible husband. xx
Spencer said he loved his night with Anne. She's turning 12 this month and we can't believe how quickly she is growing up. She's such a sweet girl who tries hard to do it all, and do it all well. love her
Cancer Marathon Walk
So I flew home on Friday and on Saturday, Spencer, me and Mary and Jason Fitzgerald entered the London Cancer Marathon Walk. We started the race at 9:30pm and went for 6 1/2 hours to the finish line.
WHOA! 26.2 miles is a VERY long way. We were running for my dad (note the shirts) and Spencer's sister, Shauna-Sue, who died five years ago from cancer.
Now, this is a unique way to see London...St. Paul's, London Eye, Tower Bridge and Southbank
I'm not sure you can see the happiness in our faces when we saw this mile marker...I really hadn't slept since I'd been back so it was quite a personal accomplishment to make it. Oddly enough, we all felt pretty great. We drove home and dove into bed by 5:00 a.m. and Spencer was back up for meetings at the church at 7:00 and we joined him at 10:00! Life just keeps on a-goin'!
China
It was Spencer's 40th birthday on his work trip right after I got back.
Boy! Did they ever show him some birthday love. Spencer said it was the funniest thing. Such nice people.
Spencer with Richard Clark and Max on his birthday evening.
WOW! Thank you for sharing such sweet, sacred experiences you had with your Dad. What an amazing experience to have Elder Renlund visit and bless your Dad. I am sure you have been such a huge help with your medical knowledge and blessing to have around as you always share such joy and happiness. We pray that Heavenly Father will continue to bless your family with comfort and peace. You are right, you are blessed with wonderful people as your family! Love you!!
ReplyDelete