Istanbul
Spencer had a 2 1/2 day trip to Istanbul and I was able to join him thanks to our
darling friend and neighbor, Fernanda, who stayed with our kids.
Istanbul has been one of the most historical and important cities for over the past 1500 years.
It is the only city that straddles two continents: Asia and Europe. It drips of history
and culture and has a vibrant commercial life. Shops and the selling of merchandise is abundant.
The call to prayer is heard five times a day throughout this city of 13+ million people with ease and we were astounded at how well they have constructed their sound system so the prayers are very a part of everyday life.
Some interesting history I've relearned was that Istanbul has been the capital of three major empires: Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman. It's name was first Byzantium, then when the Romans came in, it was Constantinople and after the Ottomans led the empire, it became known as Istanbul in 1930.
It was built on seven hills, just as Rome was built.
Blue Mosque
Built by Sultan Ahmed I with six impressive and imposing minarets.
Head coverings for women and the removal of shoes is mandatory upon entrance of the
Blue Mosque as the floors were covered in beautifully woven carpets.
The inside of the mosque was enormous and elaborately decorated with detailed
blue mosaic art work such as tulips and other beautiful designs.
This is a house of worship and prayer.
A darling little boy touting his fabulous Ottoman regalia and sword.
A view of the mosque at sunset as we were coming out and walking towards the Ayasofya (Hagia Sophia).
It's pronounced (eye-a-sophia)
Hagia Sophia means "Holy Wisdom"
I felt a little like Jasmine on Aladdin..we both look much better with our head dress off. haha
It is most famous for its massive dome which has been said to have "changed the history of architecture."
This building was a former Christian church, then an imperial mosque and is today a museum.
There are beautiful Christian paintings which have been uncovered since becoming a museum as well as the impressive Islamic holy relics.
This is how it was lit up as we were leaving...wow!
A view from one of the windows upstairs in the Ayasofya. Stunning!
As we left the museum, we were hungry and started walking down the street and saw these
women making bread in the front windows of a restaurant. We decided to go in and had a
wonderful experience with FABULOUS food!
So, it may look very "romantic" to sit and eat dinner on the floor with pillows all around you,
but it's actually quite uncomfortable! LOL
But that DID NOT change the fact that we ate amazing food and had a very enjoyable time.
As you can see, we were definitely the tourists.
Our picture from Ike! They were on their way to church with Fernanda via the train!
She made it so much fun and the kids really enjoyed being with her. Thank you Fernanda!!
Topkapi Palace
The next morning, I decided to wait for Spencer in his meetings before going out because I had felt a bit intimidated by the hustle of the city the day before. However, after texting him and realizing he wasn't finishing until 5:00, I quickly changed my mind. I knew I could handle it! And my need to see Topkapi Palace outweighed my fear of the unknown....Besides, I only had one old man get a bit handsy getting off the train (to which I gave him a stern American glare and two men approach me and ask me where I was from in America.) I must have screamed tourist AND I was wearing a dress and in black (but not a head dress). Oh well, I tried.
Okay! So Topkapi Palace...
It was an official residence/mini village for the Sultan and his family for almost 400 years.
It is set along the shore line, and this picture is one taken from one of the verandas.
Inside its walls were mosques, bakeries, four courtyards, numerous rooms and living quarters and a mint!
It is considered a fine example of Ottoman architecture.
*Quick Story - So I REALLY wanted to go to the famous Turkish Baths. Spencer was NOT
excited about this at all. However, he was willing to give it a go. When we entered,
we were told there was only room for a man. All the women's slots were unfortunately filled.
I've never seen him turn on his heels and practically run out! It was hilarious!
The GRAND BAZAAR!
3000 shops under one roof! Haggling is expected and Whoa! It was intense!
We planned well...we only gave ourselves about 2 and a half hours. You could literally get lost in there for days.
Happy Gobble Gobble!
We celebrated two Thanksgiving's this year! One at the Frost's and one at the Carroll's! It was so much fun. I spent almost two and a half days cooking, but the results were well worth the effort.
The tween table- Anne Frost, Anne Zachary Carroll, Ike, Emily Carroll, Tyler and Caitee Frost, Lauren Carroll and Ty
Stephanie was brilliant and had a "coloring" butcher-paper table cloth for the kids
to color on during their dinner! I'm totally going to use this idea in the future...
Jason Carroll, Leo and Alyson White, Alyson Frost, me, Spence, and Roy and Courtney Blanco. We are so thankful for the great friends we have made and love the memories we are able to make.
Ping-Pong mania!
Grade 2 Field Trip
Portsmith, England
We visited one of the world's oldest naval ship, the HMS Victory. This incredible ship has a rich history of English service and most notably in the Battle of Trafalgar. Admiral Nelson fought his last fight on this ship as he brought home the Victory for England and their defeat over Frances' Napoleon.
Our tour guide spared NO edited version as he told the children of the horrors of battle. There were a few times when we parents were looking at each other with wide eyes as he described some of challenges of a seaman..."Their arms hung by a gristle...or blood dripped from their ears because of the exploding cannons, or if this type of cannon ball hit you, half of your innerds would be over there and the other half over here and a 12 year old seadeck boy would come slop up the mess..." You get the idea.
(...I think after this tour, a few of the children may have crossed this occupation off their list..haha)
Nonetheless, it was a fantastic trip and we all really enjoyed it. It was a very historical ship.
*Quick story: The children had a mini-activity/lecture planned for them after their boat tour. The activity was to pretend they were explorers and sent off to find new lands and bring back riches to the Queen. They were separated into groups of four and given a box full of items from a mysterious land. Well, Josh's group received their box and in it was a flag along with other items. Josh pulled out the flag and said, "Oh! This is Jamaica! We discovered Jamaica!" One of the group leaders came over and said, "How do you know that's Jamaica' flag?"
He replied, "Oh, we have a map up in our kitchen with all the flags on it, so I know that one." Go Josh!
Anne was invited to go to a young woman's activity. She is growing up too fast.
Anne helping Amelia with her sparkler.
Just a beautiful rainbow I saw on my way home from a day in London.
Grade 2 Winter Celebration
Cute children enjoying themselves as they get ready for the winter holidays!
They made a sweet "thumb" snowman picture for their teacher as a gift.
Ty's Grade 4 Field Trip to the Lightbox in Woking
Ty, Jack, ?, ? after they created their hand-puppets for a story they made up.
ROYAL ALBERT HALL
Anne was able to try out and go again to perform in the Royal Albert Hall CLIC Sergent Program.
It was absolutely incredible and the music was FANTASTIC! What an memorable experience.
We cannot get over the beautiful this venue is.
Spence and I took Ty to the performance for a little date-night time with him. He is a crack-up!
Blenheim Palace Christmas Tour
Blenheim Palace Entrance
Blenheim Palace
I was invited by a few women from our the school to tour Blenheim Palace at Christmas time. We drove about an hour and a half to Oxfordshire. It was the home of the dukes of Marlborough and it is the only "non-royal" house to hold the title of palace. It was built in 1705 and is was most notably (to me) the birthplace of Winston Churchill and American Heiress Consuelo Vanderbilt whose marriage was arranged by her mother (as Consuelo was in love with a Frenchman) to the 9th Duke of Marlborough in order save the palace from ruin and to put the Vanderbilt name in English royalty linage.
The front corridor of the Palace
Christmas table setting...(I think Nanny's and Natalie's are even more elaborate...just saying..)
The beautiful library and ceilings. Much of the palace was decorated in the baroque style.
A stunning ceiling
Jen, Lynn, Charlotte, Alyson, Michelle, Marci-Beth, Shauna, Paige, Mary, Suzi and me
Anne's girl date with Beka
I got home that afternoon from Blenheim, and Spencer said he wanted to give my my Christmas present early. He helped me arrange a trip home to see my dad and mom and family. I had been stewing about things with my dad's condition and was having a hard time relaxing about not going home for Christmas this year.
Spencer is SO good to me and my family and I am so thankful I got to have these few days with my folks.
I feel home in Lewisville and in this house, and with all these people I love.
Chase, Jeff, Sem, Reggie, Mason, Jason, Unlce Dick and Aunt Vonnie Lue
Robbie, Kaden, Kash, Aysia, Brookie
Dad, Will and Bentley-Boo
Aysia, Brooklyn, Reggie, Robby, Kaden and Jeff
Aysia, Mom, Misti, Remi, Brookie, Jenn and Aunt Mary Kay
Uncle Roger and Jason
We even got to go watch Mason, Reggie and Robby play basketball at the High School
This is my second home...Nanny's house. This tree always slays me.
loves
Nanny's hand-painted Christmas Village
We are experiencing a miracle. My dad is home, he is doing quite well. My mom is a rockstar in helping him. They are happy and thrilled to be home together. I discovered I went home for me. They have it all under control.
Lewisville as I left for the airport.
Staines Ward Christmas Party
Yummy food, minute-to-win-it games,and the nativity!
Cameron, Oliver and Rachel Wallace, Lauren and Emily Carroll, with Ty and Anne,
Caitee Frost, and Avi Holden and Joshy
Cameron, Oliver and Rachel Wallace, Lauren and Emily Carroll, with Ty and Anne,
Caitee Frost, and Avi Holden and Joshy
Ty, Anne, Josh and Annie Petchey
Stockholm, Sweden
So Spencer didn't really mention he had a mandatory trip to attend in Sweden when I was in the States. He knew it was my only chance to go, so he made it work. Luckily our DEAR friends, Andy and Azaria McCluckie came over with their little girl Sienna and stayed with the kids for two days.
Joshy insisted in taking a little friend with him to school
Let's just say the kids LOVED having them come. They are the most fun people! And Baby Sienna is perfect.


Congratulations on getting all of this posted!! Amazing pictures and you look so beautiful Britty!!
ReplyDelete*sigh!* Don't you just LOVE Istanbul?! Did you experience the Turkish bath? Looks like you are enjoying the expat life! :-)
ReplyDelete