Monday, 8 September 2014

London's "Little Venice"

It was a bit more of a quiet week - taking care of the everyday, you know...
But some great events still took place.
Alyson called at the beginning of the week and said, "Let's go to London!" I said, "Um ya!!" We got a day travel pass which lets you use the train, tube and bus system as much as you want on that given day. It's really slick. Anyway we got the kids off to school and jumped on the train to get to a "Walking Tour of Little Venice". The day was BEAUTIFUL and we walked with about 15 other people with a guide (very English, very dry humor) around some of the most expensive parts of central London. Here are a few pictures...

 St. Regent's Canal
 Some of the wealthiest people in London live in this area. This home shows how a carriage could enter in one side and leave the other side so one would not be disgraced by getting into a carriage on the side of the street.


 People have to get on a 25 year waiting list in order to get a 
house-boat home on the St. Regent
 This home is a cool 28million pounds...complete with an 
indoor swimming pool and parking garage.
Had to finish the day at Selfridges. Alyson got the famous yellow bag and I got the newspaper...I'll do better next time...

The kids tried out for their different sporting clubs and Ike is on the football (soccer) team. He actually likes it. But here's maybe why...(besides it's a cool sport)
Funny Story: Ike first decided he was going to play volleyball because he'd never played soccer and felt a little intimidated with all these boys who've played for years. So after school, he went to volleyball tryouts. When I picked him up afterwards he got in the car with a VERY grumpy face and said, "I am NOT doing that again." I said, "Why?? What happened?" He proceeded to tell me that he was one of three boys at tryouts and the rest were GIRLS! He described the other two boys as follows, "Mom, one boy couldn't even run without tripping and the other one had boogers coming out of his nose and it was getting in his hair because his bangs were so long! It was so gross!" He proceeded, "The coach made us pair up with someone and play 'Rat and mouse!' I thought I was going to die! Then they made us play sharks and minnow's and I won every time because NO ONE would come near me because I was so much bigger! It was awful and I'm not going back!!!" 
**Okay, so I know I maybe should have told him not to judge and to go back and make it work. 
But by the time he finished, I was laughing SO hard I was crying! 
Next day...I went straight to the store, bought him cleats, shin guards, soccer socks and he is now playing soccer! LOL
Anne tried out for ROCK BAND! She got the keyboarding position and her cute little friend got singer. She is SO excited! Ty and Josh went to their first Cub Scout meeting and loved it. In fact, on Saturday they had their first event and shot rockets off at Tasis School and had a great time. 

 Shooting off their first rockets!




Alyson and I asked our husbands out for a date night Friday. We took the train into London and ate at a wonderful Indian Restaurant, walked around Covent Garden Shopping and Theater District and had a really nice time. We thought about eating dessert at the Savoy, but decided next time. haha

"At" the Savoy! With Alyson and Shawn
London Eye and Big Ben in the back...

We also bought our first car in the UK. You have NO idea how hard it is to find a seven-seater in the UK. But I really like this one and it's fun to drive. 

Sunday, after church, we decided to go for a picnic in Great Windsor Park. It was an absolutely beautiful day. 


We found an old fallen down tree to eat our lunch on. 

Sunday treat.... Smores and Twister at the Frost's house! 

Joshy and Trevor NOT giving up! lol

Quick Update:
The house's 'leaky' has become a bit more annoying than charming. We have been given permission to move, and found a place, but it is smaller and the kids are not so sure. The landlord has called several times this week and has sent us an email saying he'll take care of all the issues if we will stay and be patient as it finishes up. Our Relocation Bureau is getting back to me on the best recommendation for our family. Our kids love that this house has more wiggle room, but they also don't want to be where there's mould. So, hopefully, I will know by tomorrow what we will do. 
Stay and fix it up, or leave and squeeze it in! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry the leaks are causing problems! Moving again is NO fun, but neither is dealing with mold. (I love that you are spelling it with a "u"!) ;) Miss you guys tons! (Loads?) Say hi to your kids from my kids! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! You for sure have to get a yellow bag! That's so cute! Fun London day! Uber jealous! Love the walk in Windsor Park…did that many times while on Study Abroad! Brings back really wonderful memories! I'm so glad you are able to move. Serves that darn landlord right! He needs to talk with Jonathan from the Property Brothers and learn how to take care of his mold for tenants! Stinker!!!

    ReplyDelete